ISO 9001 Standard for quality
The ISO 9001 standard is designed for certification but certification is not a requirement. It requires the organisation to have an established “Quality Management System” that deals with the organisation’s risks and requirements. ISO 9001 can be used as a guideline for organisations that wants to improve their quality standards. Some contracts contain a requirement to organisations that they work according to the standard and others requires the organisation to be certified. Working according to the standard is in most cases interpreted as full compliance to the standard, the exception being only a formal certification.
ISO 9001 can be used by all types of organisations. By complying with the standard organisations show that their quality standards are in compliance with internationally recognised standards. It also proves that the organisation can meet customer requirements and improve customer satisfaction.
Use the standard if:
- The organisation has to show that it can deliver products and services which meets customer requirements and complies with all relevant rules and regulations.
- The organisation has to show that it is capable of improving customer satisfaction as well as being able to continuously improve its products, services, routines and processes.
Advantages of ISO 9001
What is quality
The advantage of a quality management system is that it helps an organisation’s management and employees to implement effective work routines at the same time as it supports improving customer satisfaction.
How ISO 9001 may benefit the organisation:
- Provide efficient management processes for the senior management
- Reduce cost
- Identifies areas of responsibility within the organisation
- Efficient and time saving processes are identified
- Identify deficiencies
- Improved marketing opportunities
- Provide for continuous improvement
How ISO 9001 may benefit the organisation’s customers:
- Service and quality is improved
- On time delivery
- Less returned products and complaints
- Encourages supplier to improve product
Quality applies to objects and refers to the degree to which a set of inherent characteristics fulfils a set of requirements.
Quality is the ability to satisfy the customer or users requirements and expectations.